Battery ventilation question

To: sol%HOOSIER@cs
Subject: Battery ventilation question
From: Lawrence Buja <mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!ccm0b%PURCCVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 May 1990 11:44 EST

    The battery for a TR-8 sits in the trunk.  I've purchased a plastic
battery box that I intend to put the battery in once I get my 8 back
from the paint shop.  The new battery box has a sealed bottom to keep
the battery acid off of the trunk floor, with a removable top that
provides enough room to fit the cables.  The top does not seal to the
lower section, presumably to let the gases escape.

    My question is:
    In old Audi 5000s (before the current body style), the battery was
under the back seat, with a hose that vented any gases produced by the
battery out the bottom of the car to the atmosphere.  I've read articles
on the storage of lead-acid batteries that specifically warn against the
storage of tools in the vicinity of the batteries because the corrosive
gases from the batteries will ruin the tools.  Should the battery be
vented to atmosphere to protect the trunk from corrosion, or does the
frequent opening & closing of the trunk lid provide enough ventilation?

       Tim Buja                             Cherry Valley, IL