More idle chit-chat

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: More idle chit-chat
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 May 90 16:15:51 pdt
Garry Archer writes (in part):

>I gotta talk, I'm a little choked up.

>If you haven't guessed by now, I could also be writing about British Cars.
>
>The girl who cuts my hair runs her business out of her home.  She has a
>beautiful primrose yellow 1971 TR 6 that she had fully restored several
>years ago.  However, she got married, bought a house, had kids, etc.

>Last week I went for a haircut... and the TR had gone...  ARGH!  Desolation!
>Where is it???  So I went inside and grilled her (no, I said, "grilled" her).
>

>However... there are these neighbours a couple of streets away... they keep

This brings to mind another sad British car story, right in my own
neighborhood.  Just a few blocks from my home sits an MG TC.  It's been
there for as long as I can remember, certainly more than ten years.  The
tires are flat and the plastic in the side curtains and rear window are
shot.  No doubt the top is shot too by now.  I have no idea what the
mechanical condition of the car is but the body still looks pretty good.
The paint is badly faded but there doesn't seemed to be any significant
rust.  Up until a couple of years ago, there was a canvas cover over it
but that was blown off by the wind one winter.  The cover lay on the
driveway for several more months after that but finally was either blown
away by another wind or was removed by the owner when he got tired of
looking at it.

I've never so much as talked to the owner, or even seen him (or her).
In fact, I've never even seen anyone outside of the house, and I've
walked by it dozens of times.  I have no idea if it's for sale, but it
seems a shame for it to just sit there, rotting away.  My own car
project will be enough to occupy my time and money for the foreseeable
future, but if there's anyone else reading this who's interested, I'd be
willing to supply the address of this house to them.  It's in Santa
Clara which is in the South San Francisco Bay area.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM