PARTS IS PARTS (was: Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: PARTS IS PARTS (was: Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown)
From: mit-eddie!abersoch.sw.stratus.com!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 16 May 90 22:30:44 EDT
>   Interesting quote from the prez of Saab-Scania, talking about
>   getting steering racks from GM now that Saab is a GM company:
>   "Parts like that don't do anything to define a car's soul."

perhaps you were refering to this quote from Autoweek, 7 May 1990
where Robert J Sinclair, President Saab-Scania of America, Inc.,
is discussing SAAB and their relationship with GM of Europe:

        "We've been using Saginaw steering racks forever. I am sure that
         we're paying more for Saginaw steering racks than Opel's paying
         for steering racks from Saginaw. Parts like these have nothing to
         do with the soul and character of the car."

>   That's knocked Saabs off the list of cars I intend to consider.
>   If the president doesn't think steering is part of a car's
>   soul...

        Does that mean:

        1) you must think SAABs are already GMs, and have been for quite a
                while ?

        2) you beleive what car salesmen say ?

        3) the soul of VWs, Audis and Porches must be Robert Bosch  & Hella ?

        PERHAPS THE WHOLE IS GREATER THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS....

                                [ unless its a british car... :-) ]

        --bill