Bonney (was Bearings, tools)

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Bonney (was Bearings, tools)
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 May 90 09:27:29 pdt
Mark Bradakis writes:

>Joe Augenbraun draws a picture of a wrench end which looks like
>

>       /\____/\
>       \      /
>       /      \
>     _/        \_
>    |_          _|
>      \        /
>       \      /
>       / ____ \
>       \/    \/
>

>As it turns out, both Bonney and Snap-On make wrenches and sockets like this.
>Assuming, of course, Bonney is still in business.  I do have one of their
>torque wrenches, but that was purchased a number of years ago.

Actually, I think most sockets and box-end wrenches are like this to
some degree, but with rounded rather than squared openings.  I suppose
it depends on to what extent this is true and to the closeness of the
flat opening tolerance that determines the likelihood that a tool will
round-off a bolt or nut.

BTW, Bonney is still around.  I bought a Bonney torque wrench recently
and saw them at a number of different places.  In fact, I was told by
the owner of one local auto parts store that he often has them on sale.

One other interesting thing about Bonney is that at one time they made
Whitworth wrenches.  I have one that I bought around 1969.  Who knows,
maybe they still do make them.

Roland