fork oil in shocks

To: alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@sco.COM
Subject: fork oil in shocks
From: Sam Sjogren <mit-eddie!sco.COM!sam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 19:49:11 PDT
I hope that Scott isn't recommending motorcycle fork oil just
because he knows that I pour a lot of the stuff into my old
Armstrongs.  My old shocks were leaking copiously anyway, and
I didn't really care how much damage I did to them and just
wanted the heaviest fluid that I felt would work reasonably
in the application.  I just got a new (rebuilt, probably) pair
of front Armstrongs with competition valves, and will be installing
them tonite probably.  Scott, do you have it from other sources,
including your own experiences, as to the long term effects of
motorcycle fork oil in good Armstrongs?  Anybody else?  For the
time being I'll probably use the approved Armstrong fluid until
I get used to my new competition valves and get greedy for even
more damping.

Oh, I'm racing my MGB at Laguna Seca on Sunday.  Wish me luck!
Just gotta finish putting the front suspension back together, and
install the S.S. braided brake lines and the new rear brake shoes
and the header and new exhaust system and check the compression
and maybe mill the head down, etc...  And as Larry would advise me,
the round rubber things stay down on the flat black thing, and the
headlites point forward...

-me