Re: Wrench Sizes

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Wrench Sizes
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 14:27:32 PDT
>   drive the nut by applying force to the flat of the nut
>   and not to the corners as in a conventional design thus

I'm pretty convinced that these are wrenches with a pivoting part. I'm
not going to try to draw a picture: The main body of the wrench (the
part you hold with your hand) is a piece of bar stock, with an angled
end (say about 30 degrees from vertical) and a hole for a pivot pin.
The flat of the angled end is what actually hits the flat of the nut.

The pivot pin hole gets filled with a pivot pin, which also holds a
non-regular hexagonal frame. You slip this over the nut, it grasps
probably 2 flats. You then push on the handle, the handle pivots, the
flat of the angled end presses against a third flat, and the nut turns.
Automatic adjustment to within the limits of the swing of the handle
within the frame.

I've never used a set of these, but I've seen them advertised often.
They certainly look like they would work well on rounded-off heads.

Does this describe the 'magic spanners' you were talking about?

chris