silicone & paint

To: ogicse!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: silicone & paint
From: sgi!decwrl!ogicse!verdix.com!bob@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Bob Boulanger)
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 15:09:06 pdt

>> I am in a dilemma about whether to wax my roadster.  The pro side
>> says that wax protects the paint and looks good.  On the other hand,
>> I had a body man tell me one time that you should never use wax on
>> a car, since the silicones make it impossible to repaint in the future
>> without fisheyes and such.  In other words, once you've got silicone
>> on there, you've got silicone forever.
>

>This is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  If everybody took
>this guys advice, we'd have highways full of cars with the crappiest looking
>paint jobs you can imagine.  He probably just wants to paint you car in 4 or 5
>years when the paint is ruined.

>Wax your car.  Real body shops have wax removers.

>Dave.

Dave:

You might think this the stupidest thing you've ever heard, but it's true.
My bset friend owns an auto body and paint supply shop, and he agrees with
the advice.  He told me about this long before this topic came up here.  I
had just bought a 1972 240Z and was cleaning it up.  He caught me using
armor all on some of the rubber and almost had a fit on the spot.  Told me
that once the silicone gets on the paint, it's very difficult to get
anything to stick, even when you use wax removers -- it permeates the paint.

Bob