heavy/light damping...

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: heavy/light damping...
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 15:29:58 EDT
For Dale, Dave, and anyone else, D-named or not,

The heavier the dashpot oil, the more enrichment you will get when you put
your foot into the throttle, and the lighter the oil the less enrichment.  The
problem with too light oil (or none at all) is that it will stumble from
momentary leaning out when you punch it.  With too heavy an oil, it will
just be too slow to open the venturi, and hence give vague or sluggish
throttle response.  I'd *guess* (since I don't bother with it and don't seem
to need to yet) that in summer you could get by with lighter oil because
gas doesn't condense in the manifold as easily, but at the same time you'd
want a heavier oil because of the higher operating temperatures.  Seems to
me that you could screw around with this forever but there isn't a "best"
solution.  I use engine oil, and it seems to do just fine.  If anything, it
may be too heavy, but then, I don't drive Percy much in the winter.

Jim Muller