re: speedometers

To: "bellcore!iuvax!gatech!mit-eddie!alliant!british-cars"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: speedometers
From: mit-eddie!gatech!iuvax!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 8 Dec 1989 9:56 EST
Jim TenCate asked:
>I've got an 80 TR8 with one of those 85 MPH speedos.  My TR7 had
>one that went all the way to 140 MPH.  Could I simply swap
>the two?

Certainly the TR-7 speedo is an exact physical replacement, but I'm not
sure about the gearing of the 8 vs 7.  You could simply do a swap and
see if the speeds being read on the 140 speedo are the same as was
with the 85mph speedo for the same rpm in 4th gear.

Before doing the work, however, you might want to contact one of
the following for specific technical guidance:

TS Imported Automotive
404 Bassinger Road
Pandora, OHIO 45877  Tel:419-384-3022
        (ask for Ted Schumacher and mention that Bill Sohl of
        the Vintage Triumph Register referred you to him.)

Eightparts
731 South Vine Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85719    Tel: 602-622-1290

TR-8 Club of America
5112 Wapakoneta Road
Bethesda, MD 20816   Tel: Mike DeAndrade, Pres. 301-972-0440
        (Besides being a member of the Vintgae Triumph Register,
        as a TR-8 owner you should join this group also.  Tell Mike
        Bill Sohl sent you.)

Bill Sohl, VTR President