Elan OEM Rims and 1990 Elan

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Elan OEM Rims and 1990 Elan
From: uunet!cbmvax!cgh.UUCP!paul@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Paul Homchick)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 9:19:52 EST

> We have a complete set (4 plus spare) of OEM knock-off wheels for an Elan
> for which we have absolutely no need [...] but before I advertise
> I'd like to know what order-of-magnitude price I should expect
> (don't want to look like a "compleat idiut").  Thanks for any inputs.
>
> Karen

Several years ago (ahem, nine), when I did something unpleasant to my
Elan which caused it to need another knock-off rim, I was told by the
folks at Dave Bean that these were no longer obtainable but that they
might be able to find one lying around the shop if I didn't care what
it looked like.  (They did).  So I would suppose that someone doing a
'original' restoration might be very happy to find your set of
straight OEM K/O rims.  If I were looking for such a thing I would be
willing to pay between $150 and $250 for the set of five.  Of course,
my one number doesn't establish a market price, but it's a start!

BTW, did you ever find your alternator bracket?  Sorry to say, I had
no time to look while I was in England.  (An aside, don't bother to
try to go shopping on a Sunday in GB).

Finally, the new issue of Road and Track has a preview article of the
new Lotus Elan.  Besides the fact that it has FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE, costs
more than $30,000 and has a Japanese engine, it looks nice. 8-|
(undecided smiley).  As I have said before, what is a sports car nut
to do?  The new Nissan 300 ZX Turbo weighs as much as a Lincoln
Continental, and the new Lotus is front-wheel-drive.  Does this
crankiness about new cars mean that I am getting old??

--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet           cgh!paul@manta.pha.pa.us