Spitfire racing motors...

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Spitfire racing motors...
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 17:54:08 EST
Jeff asks about my sources and other stuff.  I am not deeply into racing
(I wish I were), not into engine mods (I wish I were).  I have neither the
time nor the money nor the facilities nor the knowledge...(sigh).
Most of my info comes from Graham Robeson's book *Triumph Spitfire and GT-6*.
G.R. was administrator of the Spitfire racing program and a Triumph engineer
for some time.  I also have Michael Cook's book with a similar name, and the
two Brooklands reprint books about the Spitfire.

About the radiator, again, I haven't ever actually swapped radiators (I
haven't ever needed to), so I can only conjecture.  My car has the electric
fan/slant radiator arrangement that B-L started using in late '78 or '79.
It has never had a proble, even on 100+ degree days, but it is very important
that the fan motor still work.  Both previous owners went through some
unnecessary contortions and some overheating because the motor was sub-
optimal.  Since I've owned it, I watch it carefully.  Perhaps this is the
radiator arrangement that Jeff was talking about.  You can't run a mechanical
fan this way though, because the radiator slants forward about 45 degrees.

Jim Muller