1275 vs 1293

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: 1275 vs 1293
From: "You Know Who" <mit-eddie!CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu!GGN100%PSUVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 20:11 EST
      In another letter, I mentioned that, using a PAECO catalog as a
refrence, that the 1275 & 1293 engines had similar power outputs for the
various states of tune. Here are the figures.

 Engine  |  stage 1  |  stage 2  |  stage 3  |  stage 4
   1275  |     80    |    100    |    120    |    130
   1293  |     85    |    100    |    110    |    120

   Stage 1 -street engine= higher CR, balanced engine.
   Stage 2 -Slalom/Rally/street=approx 11:1,hot cam, head work.
   Stage 3 -Enduro/vintage/SCCA Regional=a more highly modifed stage 2
   Stage 4 -SCCA sprints=rocket motors that are extensively modified.
                         require special attention!
     I chose this comparison because PAECO prepares both engines practically
the same way. While the 1275 has a lower standard output, more power can be
extracted through similar preperation. I'm sure that other engine preparers
such as D.V., Joe Huffaker, and the Group 44 team (to name a few) have been
able to extract more power.
     Another thing that might be concidered is that factory turbochargers
have been made and sold for the 1275 engine. I am referring to the MG Metro
Turbo that has been available for sale in England. I'm sure you might be able
to purchace a Turbo unit from a number of parts sources in England that cater
to Metros.
-------

| GGN100@PSUVM.BITNET  +                //     || |      \  \  ------   |
|PENN STATE UNIVERSITY +        ( /--\  |       |       /--\  B| ----   |
|  MCKEESPORT CAMPUS   +        d| () | |_______|      | () | /  -----  |
 -- So tell me, how many times have Hondas won the Monte Carlo Rally? --
                   --- LONG LIVE THE MINI! ---