TR-6 OD

To: pyuxe!~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: TR-6 OD
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 27 Nov 1989 14:36 EST
-------------------- begin forwarded message --------------------
>From bellcore!uunet.UU.NET!ssi!fanning!rmb Mon Nov 27 12:59:46 1989
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 08:59:39 CST
>From: bellcore!uunet.UU.NET!ssi!fanning!rmb (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
To: uunet!bellcore!iuvax!gatech!mit-eddie!alliant!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET,
        uunet!bellcore.bellcore.com!pyuxe!whs70@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: re: TR6 needs transmission

->I haven't done it myself, but I have talked to many folks that
->have.  None experienced any significant roadblocks assuming
->the OD trans you get is working properly.
->
->I think Bob Bownes, one of the b-c list subscribers has done it.
->Bob, if you're out there how about following up on my comments.
->

        Well, I have not performed the conversion, but I've done just about
all there is to do to an OD except actually fix one sucessfully. You do need
a different output shaft and the appropriate adaptor housing. My personal
recommendation would be to find a complete OD/trans assembly and transplant
it as one unit. You will need a new rear trans mount as well I believe. This way
you'll have all the pieces togetherr including the switches on the trans to
keep the OD disabled in 1st/2nd gear. It should just bolt right after that. The
switch may be located anywhere but either must go through a relay or be of some
amperage.

->>      o And, finally, is it worth the work and money?  I always felt the
->>        TR could benefit from taller gear out on the freeways--how much
->>        difference does it make?
->>
        It's worth it if you can get the OD cheap. TRF wants $600.00 for
the OD alone. Add another $200 for everything else partswise. I think it's
worth it, but my car came with one and I drive on the freeway alot.

bob