Re: Spriget 1275cc vs. Triumph 1296cc

To: hoosier!sol@cs
Subject: Re: Spriget 1275cc vs. Triumph 1296cc
From: mit-eddie!p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG!George.Emery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (George Emery)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 04:21:56 PST
 > Is there anyone out there that has had experience with *both* the
 > the standard BMC 1275cc and Triumph's 1296cc Spitfire motors? Does
 > one motor or the other respond to performance upgrades better?
 > Would adding a Weber, Header, and hotter cam, to both stock
 > motors, return an equal increase in horsepower? Or would one
 > come out on top due to something like.... better head design?

The BMC 1275cc has a pretty decent cylinder head on it, so performance
increases are greater from (in order of application) a cam, dual
Webers (you saw them in half), and a header.  Then you think about
porting the cylinder head and raising compression.  If you want to keep
this streetable, then about 95 HP is the upper limit, but if you want to
road race, then 120 HP is max (unless you get really wild and add a turbo
or nitrous).

The Spridget has a better suspension and, probably, more go-faster parts
than the Spitfire, so it's the one I'd choose for a go-faster car.  But
if you only want to go in a straight line, then the Spitfire probably has
more potential.

George Emery
(503) 257-9731
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery