TR6 needs transmission

To: ll-xn!mit-eddie.uucp!Alliant.COM!british-cars%usc.edu@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: TR6 needs transmission
From: linus!xait!harvard!ll-xn!usc!detroit.usc.edu!doug@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Doug Shook)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 89 17:24:36 PST
TR6 needs a transmission

Carnuba wax the TR6, trying really hard to make the TR and myself
to look our best, I motor over for a `special' date.  I pick her up, and
we head out to Pacific Coast Highway with the top down and the feeling
that everything is going to be just right.

As I begin to slow for a traffic light, I cannot get the TR to
downshift.  You know the rest of the story, a trashed tranny and a
limping trip home.

I really love to impress the ladies.

Anyway, I need some advice.  I want to replace the transmission (1974
TR6 non-overdrive).  I always wanted an overdrive transmission, and
thought it may be a good time to make the swap.

My questions are:
      o How much extra work is it to install an OD transmission in a
        non-OD TR6?
      o How much extra will it cost?
      o Have any of you actually made this change and could you give me
        any advice on what to do/not to do?
      o Are the requisite parts available at TRF or Moss, etc.
      o And, finally, is it worth the work and money?  I always felt the
        TR could benefit from taller gear out on the freeways--how much
        difference does it make?

I appreciate any direct mail, and also will post this message on
rec.auto.tech.

Thanks in advance,

doug