Re: Datsun 2000 - Good and Bad News

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Datsun 2000 - Good and Bad News
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 10:23:14 EDT
If you don't mind the amount of work required to pull the crank, it is
definitely best to have a machine shop check it.  You should also remove
the pistons at the same time, and have the con rods checked for straightness.
(and check wrist pins, etc.  If main bearings are that far gone, I wouldn't
be surprised if everything is ready to give up the ghost).  Piston rings
should be replaced at the same time.  There is no reason that you couldn't
do this work yourself (well, actually a lot of it is bringing pieces to a
machine shop) as long as you are careful to torque everything correctly,
and you have or are willing to buy a cylinder hone and piston ring
compressor.  The machine shop will be able to check the crank, grind it
if necessary, and you can reinstall with standard or oversize bearings
as appropriate.  Your recent failure was almost certainly caused by your
worn bearings.  You should have replaced the bearings when you had things
apart (but I guess you kind of realize that by now).

I personally enjoy hearing about your Datsun roadster.  I think that people
who complain that it isn't "British" don't know the car.  It may not be
British, as in made in England, but it is certainly British in character.
Moreso than some cars that are made in England, in fact.

                                                        joe