Re: two carbs or three? what'll it be?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: two carbs or three? what'll it be?
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 89 10:42:53 EDT
The E-Type had 3 carb's, each feeding adjacent cylinders.  I've never looked
to see the piston timing relationship on each set of cylinders.

I'm sure that the 3 carb setup gives more power than the 2 carb because of
a bit of Jag history.  A few years after the XK120 came out, the factory
offered a version that had a higher output engine (carb changes, and cams I
would suppose).  When the XK140 came out, this hotter engine was made the
standard engine.  But the factory soon offered a hotter version of the XK140.
When the XK150 came out, the highest output XK140 engine was standard.  Of
course they eventually hopped up the XK150 engine; this was made the standard
engine in the E-Type.  There were 2 carb's on XK120's and I think most XK140's.
I don't remember whether the XK150 had 2 or 3 carb's, but the E-Type had
3.  Anyway, the point is that they went from 2 to 3 carb's in one of their
quests for more power from the engine.  If more power could be extracted
from 2, I'm sure they would have found a way to do it when they were using
2 on the XK's.

                                                Joe