Yes...starter question

To: british-cars%alliant.com@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Yes...starter question
From: mit-eddie!emx.utexas.edu!jatc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (James TenCate)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 21:15:14 -0600
I DID get a number of replies about my TR7 starter problem.  Thanks
to everyone who wrote.  I ended up pulling off the header and
having the starter rebuilt.  Guy at the rebuild shop said the
solenoid had indeed died.  The rebuild works great.  I do
recommend anyone who has lost their starter solenoid heat sheild
to try and find a replacement.  It seems to serve a pretty important
purpose.

Meanwhile, after about a week of driving, the head gasket finally
decided to die.  The car started to get REALLY hot...I pulled over,
looked under the bonnet and saw hot green blood flowing all over
the header and my newly installed starter rebuild....sigh.
I'm supposed to drive this car back to MI to swap it for
my TR8 next week too!

Does anyone know about an improved stud kit which is supposed
to somehow *even out* the head bolt forces holding the head to
the block?  The mechanic I talked to said it was a good fix (?)
and since I evidentally needed a stud kit anyway...

Jim TenCate
jatc@emx.utexas.edu