Re: [Bricklin] Doors & center caps

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Doors & center caps
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:46:32 -0500
At 01:28 PM 11/7/2009, Larry Ankeny wrote:

 >The doors skins are glued to the metal frame.  I believe Terry
Tanner says to
 >use 3M MARINE ADHESIVE SEALANT 5200. Part number 051135-06500
 >I got a couple of tubes of it last year for my doors, but haven't
got to that part
 >of the rebuild yet.

The adheasive depends on what you're doing.  If you are just trying
to relaminate
the skin to the door in a small area, almost any adheasive will do.  Some have
used Silkaflex, the window sealer tape, etc.  The problem with a lot of the new
heavy duty adheasives require a special gun that runs from $60 up, depending on
which adheasive you are using.

 >To get a good bond, it has to be applied to bare metal and clean fiberglass.

As Larry says, you want to clean the underside of the door skin, and the metal
door frame the best you can.

If you plan to redo the entire door skin, you should remove the skin, and then
check to see if all the mods to the doors have been done.

Unless Terry has changed adheasives reciently, he has been recommending
Norton Speed Grip (15) for the last couple of years.  But this is
best used if you
are redoing the entire skin, as it is a 2 part epoxy.  One load will
do 1 door and
the adheasive will run about $25.  The gun to apply the 2 parts is about $60.

 >2. Whats the best place to get center caps for my E-T rims?
Couldn't find them
 >    anywhere on the Internet.

Can't be much help here.  I'd say try Terry or one of the B vendors.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229