Re: [Bricklin] AMC gas tank

To: Spridgets net <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] AMC gas tank
From: Mike Walsh <mike.walsh@walshware.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:16:55 -0500
I did a fair amount of research first and POR did not appear to be
sufficiently resistant to alcohol (which is what ethanol is). The stuff
Bill Hirsch sells appears to be the so called "sloshing sealer" that is
commonly used on airplane fuel tanks and is rated for use with alcohol.

There were also several anecdotal stories of folks having issues with
POR flaking off tanks when used with ethanol so I decided to go with the
product Bill Hirsch sells. The Hirsch product coats the tank with a
coating that looks a lot like a fiberglass resin or gel coat.

By the way... I was quite surprised to find that the product Hirsch is
based on MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and you have to take precautions to
use it only in a well ventilated area. POR appears to not have the same
safety concerns.

Mike