Re: Exhaust Wrap

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Wrap
From: "Rick at High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:12:02 -0400
One thing it will do is greatly decrease the life of the pipes The wrap holds
a lot of heat in the steel and decarbonizes it so you end up with iron that's
very brittle and just falls apart. It also hold moisture on the pipes so they
rust faster. I had a friend wrap a set of brand new headers and drive nonstop
to Florida, When he got there there was  small leak, he went looking for it
and the headers literally fell apart in his hands. BTW these were high end
headers and not some cheap set. I got a free trip to Florida for delivery and
installation.
 If you make some half moon shape heatshields, they would work better, just
get some 3" tubing bent and slice it in half, make sure you leave an air gap
and it will greatly reduce radiant heat
 Rick