Gas gauge problem

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas gauge problem
From: isensee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:06:27 -0400
For years, my gas gauge read about half when the tank was full, the needle
would wave around quite a bit at times, and it would read empty long before the
tank was actually low. Lately it has stopped working altogether and reads empty
at all times.

I have checked to make sure the connectors are securely in place at the back of
the gauge. I ran a separate ground wire to the gas tank to make sure it is well
grounded.

I am thinking the symptoms indicate a bad sender unit in the gas tank. Do you
agree? Is there anything more I can do to test?

Does the gas tank have to be dropped to replace the sender? What is the part
number for a new sender?

Scott