door alignment

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net, "Kevin D Hand" <khand1486@earthlink.net>
Subject: door alignment
From: Alchemy <alchemy541@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:30:18 -0700
<Kevin wrote>

"Your comment about being able to see daylight shining through the top of
the driver's door makes me wonder if perhaps your door is bent?  Even old
flattened weatherstrip would most likely provide enough of a seal to keep
you from seeing daylight...

There were significant issues with the hydraulic/electric doors and the door
latch solenoid to present many opportunities for bending the doors.  Many
cars have had bent doors due to the solenoid not working properly causing
the door to bend when the solenoiud did not releash the latch at the bottom
of the door, causing the door to bend as the ram applied well over 1000 PSI
of pressure against the top of the door.  Also, the doors are weakest at the
back corner where the door ram attaches to the door itself.  If there has
not been any reinforcing done there, the door will eventually crack and bend
on its own from use, even if no solenoid problems...

To your knowledge, have the doors ever been reinforced, repaired, and
refitted to the frame of the car?  If not, perhaps this is something that
you need to do.

A good door fit, when the doors are closed, should allow you to run your
hand over the door and roof panels and experience a "flush fit" - meaning
that there is no height difference between the door skin and roof panels,
nor height difference between the door panels and the other body parts
adjacent to the door (front fenders, A-pillars, rear quarter panels...This
last comparison is more a total body panel alignment issue than anything
else.  The "Key" fit test is the top of the door to the three "sides" of the
roof - all surfaces should be the same height resulting in a flush fit..."
++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++

Kevin and co.   You guys may know the car better than me- Rod Keeler  of CBO
was who I bought the car from.

 As far as I can tell- no added support to the door (air powered) When I
said able to see daylight, that be slightly misleading... when I sat in the
car I had my wife shine a high powered flashlight into the door joint, some
spots light was visible.
 Anyway- I just checked over the drivers door:
 roof-  front up  1/8" rear dipped 1/8" (appx)
fender - below crease is flush, above recessed 1/4" (appx)
pillar- recessed 1/4" (appx)

so it is looking like it has in fact sagged and is  tweaked. passenger door
is flush the whole way around, no issues at all with it.
The question is how do I go about correcting this problem? Any "how to"
floating around on this?

All input appreciated,
--
Scott Benson