Re: Rebuild, new or high torque starter

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuild, new or high torque starter
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:30:09 -0500
At 06:30 PM 1/20/2008 +0100, Sven Koch wrote:

>My original starter seems to pack up soon. During the restoration of #2224
>I've rebuilt this motor, because it was seized through the years.....
>
>I already tried to connect the battery with the solenoid with a bigger wire
>without any changes. Could the starter solenoid be the problem??

Sven,

It's possible, but unlikely.  Usually when the solenoid fails, you'll hear
a loud click and it make contact internally but the engine won't turn
over.  This is because the contacts have burned away and the plunger is
not making contact across both sets of contacts.  For more information
on this check out my article: Electrical Primer - Part 3 - The Starting
System at  http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art026.html

However, a solenoid for the Bricklin is about a $15 US part.  So it may
be worth the gamble.  I've had luck taking them apart and turning the
contacts over and putting them back together.  You'll have to drill out
the rivits.

>My question is: should I buy a normal rebuilt Ford starter or a high torque
>version?? If I need a heavy duty one could anyone give me a suggestion?

I can't help with any info on a heavy duty one.  I just looked up starters
for a 75 Ford Granada, and they don't list a heavy duty one.  However,
I did see this:

"INSTALLATION ALERT! This starter sensitive to high battery cable
resistance; check cables to avoid mis-diagnosing a starting problem."

So be sure that all the battery cables connectors are clean, and that the
ground strap between the engine and chassis is intact and both ends are
clean.  Also make sure that the connection to the chassis for both the
battery ground and engine ground straps are clean.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229