Re:computer backups

To: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Subject: Re:computer backups
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:11:35 -0500
At 04:20 AM 1/15/2007 -0500, High Tech Coatings wrote:

>Just a couple of notes, You should keep the remote drive unplugged from the
>machine, that way if there is a power surge that kills your computer it
>won't kill the back up as well. You should also consider doing a drive
>image, that is a complete  Image or copy of the drive that can be restored
>and run. That way if you have  drive failure you can restore the image, to a
>new drive, windows will be as it was on the old drive, all set up and ready
>to run. IF you do a good clean image once or twice a year. that way the most
>you have to take off your back ups is a few months of data. I'm guilty of
>not running an image often enough but I do have a redundant backup if my PC
>on my laptop.

Rick,

Good point.  An image is a lot quicker than trying to reload the Operating
System (OS) and all the software from scratch.  With the price of Hard Drives
(HD) coming down it's not too much of a problem.  Usually the back drive
has to be the SAME size as the one in the machine.  As the image writing
software doesn't care if the drive it's writing to is bigger, but it can
NOT be smaller.  So, if you got from say a 40G in the machine to a 100G
backup drive that's fine.  But the program I've used won't let it come
back because the destination would be 40G which is smaller than the 100G
your reading from.

What software do you use to do the image?  Ghost?

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229