Off topic - Computer backups (1 of 3)

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Off topic - Computer backups (1 of 3)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:06:46 -0500
Hey gang,

This is about backing up your computer files.  So if you already do it,
you can skip reading any further.

I was just talking with one of the list members and he was saying how he'd
had a Hard drive crash and was trying to recover.  Boy I hate when that
happens.  It can be frustrating, expensive and time consuming, to say the
least.

I know we had a discussion a while back on the list about backing up your
computer files.  I thought I'd bring it up again, especially if we have some
new comers to the list.

If you are like me, I have everything on my computer.  I still maintain some
hardcopy (paper) copies of things I'm working on, but for the most part, my
entire brain is on the computer.  I have my phone book, my email friends,
the various sites I go to, my favorites for the IE users, or Book marks for
the Netscape users.  I also have a text file that contains thousands of
web sites that to me are worth know about.  I have my Morgan web and tons
of files I've pulled down off of the web about all kinds of different
subjects.  Not to mention the articles and templates I have for doing
The Brickline magazine.

The point here is that if I loose my HD, which I have, and will again, I
effectively completely loose my mind, well brain or memory.  Not fun.

I'm probably a little different than most computer users, as I've been playing
with these boxes since the 70s with the old TRS 80s.  While Microsoft is
getting better about some of their defaults, I still don't store things
in MS's default areas.  Old habbits die hard.  But I've had multiple users
on my machines long before MS had the build in support for them.

Anyway, regardless of how or where you store your info, you should know where
it is stored!  Get a little familure with the directory structure (folders)
you use so you know where your files are.

Now lets talk about backups.  Everyone know they should backup their hard
drive, but what about that letter you are working on, the article you
are writing for The Brickline, or a white paper you're working on for work?

When working on a paper - the rule of thumb for saving the file is - how
much are you willing to retype?  You should really save the file every
5 to 15 minutes, or after any very interesting point you make.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229