Easy Spark Plug Wire Test?

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Easy Spark Plug Wire Test?
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:04:01 -0600
I kind of stumbled into this while working on my Toyota Supra and thought I
would pass this along.  I am not sure this is a valid method to test the wires
but helped my in my case.

The car was running very sluggish just out of no where.  I ran the computer
codes and it pointed to a possible vacuum leak or ECU failure.  So I replaced
all the vacuum hoses and the code went away, but the car continued to run bad.
I replaced the ECU ($35 off of ebay so worth a try) and the problem was the
same.  It basically sounded like a cylinder or two was not firing.  Since the
timing light uses the number 1 wire to set the timing and run the light I
thought I would just connect it to the other wires and see if the light would
work.  I worked my way through each wire starting at one since this car is a
straight 6.  The strobe light pattern was consistent on all until I connected
the five wire.  The light would work randomly and sometimes not at all. When I
connected to the six wire the pattern was consistent again.  Then went back to
five again and the random patttern would occur again. I replaced the five wire
and the car was running like new.  Since I had purchased a new distributor and
wire set, I went ahead and installed those.  This was an easy test to go
through the wires and see the culprit.

If this is not a good test let me know.  Maybe it was just coincidence that I
found the bad wire.

Greg 0036