RE: Finding an open or short in car electrical system

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Finding an open or short in car electrical system
From: "Early, Stephen" <stephen.early@fiacardservices.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:29:55 -0500
John,

It is common practice to run a 3 wire w/ground to the kitchen sink area.
The purpose is to provide one dedicated circuit to the dish washer and
another to the disposer without having to run two separate wire runs.
Inside the sheath, the red wire would be hot to one item while the black
would be hot to the other.  The white and ground wires are common to
both circuits.

At the CB panel, this kind of circuit *must* be wired to a double
breaker, commonly referred to as a 220v.  The reason is that the red and
black wires need to be out of phase; otherwise you could overload the
white wire.

Hope this helps you with your dad's setup.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
Bank of America Corporation
800.441.7048 x74788