Re: so what do you all think

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: so what do you all think
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:13:56 -0400
At 08:47 AM 5/28/2006 -0400, High Tech Coatings wrote:

>Good luck getting insurance for a daily driver bricklin, I had trouble
>getting it back then. You can get it now but the won't do agreed value
>coverage on a daily driver so your car is at risk if you drive it. They will
>value it at "book" value, lets see insurance value for a 1975 car.....about
>$500. so if some one cracks a fender they will right it off. Once written
>off you will get a salvage title and probably not be able to insure it
>again. been there done that.....

Rick has a very good point there.  When you try to insure it, ask what type
of policy.  Do NOT accept an "Actual cash" policy.  This is the worst and
what everyone writes.  Consiquently the need for "Gap" insurance on todays
cars.

However, if you beat up on them long enough, and don't get rediculous about
the value, you may be able to get them to write a daily driver policy.

I was able to get one on my Morgan back in 93 when I finished restoring her.
I had her appraised at $24,000, and was asking for $15,000 on it.  Probably
should have gone to the value of the car, but the point her is if you want
the car insured for $15,000 to $20,000 that's not out of the range of
acceptiable (assuming you aren't driving a wreck).  Explain what you want
is to be insured so that if someone hits you and trashes a fender, they
don't total the car.  That it is indeed worth the $15,000ish.

Then again, why would you want your Bricklin insured as a daily driver?
Reasons against it, depending on where you live, ie the US, Canada, etc.

1.  In the US antique ins. is against what the car IS worth, and you can
    set the value within limits.  Again my Morgan is still insured for
    about $15,000.  I really need to up that, because to replace the car
    is now in the $30,000 range.

    This costs me something in the order of $150/yr. vs the $600 for my
    89 Mini van that I'd only get 500 for.

2. Yes there are some limits on antique insurance, but many companies are
   reducing the limitations.  However the states are trying to tighten the
   restrictions.  But do you really need to drive the car to work every day?

   My drive to work is 18 mi. and takes from 20 min to 45 min and 100,000
   other cars!  Don't need to put the Bricklin at that risk every day.

3. Gas milage - at 17 mpg, I don't know if I could afford that trip every
   day. Or at least would I want to pay the gas bill?

   Get a beater, like my 84 Accord, 30 mpg and if it gets wrecked no big deal.

4. You could take it out for a cruse in the evening, or out on a date.  At
   least for now with the current regulations in most states.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229