problem with air doors -- pump?

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: problem with air doors -- pump?
From: Robert Alexander <Robbie1746@ra1.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:58:01 -0500
Hi all,

1746 was stored for the winter in an unheated garage. Started up just
fine Tuesday afternoon.

Not getting pressure into the air tank, though. The air system in
partially working, just not enough actually to operate the doors. I
hear a small 'click' when I operate the up/down switch outside the
driver's side door and I can hear a bit of air movement. If I hold
the door up and press the 'up' button, a bit of air gets into the
cylinder -- enough so that it doesn't close all the way when I let it
down. (Open about a couple inches.)

Spent some more time with the car today (Wednesday), and got a bit of
help from the previous owner, who's a friend.

We used a compressor and put air in the tank. The doors work just
fine with the system charged, so the problem is a lack of the tank
getting re-filled. (It's a Tanner system, BTW.) We checked under the
front and found that the pump assembly had come loose. We figured it
was not grounding well, so no power to the motor.

We tightened up the mount with a new nut and washer, but still no
joy. I ran the door up and down to exhaust the pressure in the tank,
but the pump didn't come on. There was power on one side of the
breaker up front but not the other, so it looked like the breaker was
blown.

Tried shorting across the poles of the breaker with a screw driver to
make the pump come on. It did, but ran very slowly, almost
reluctantly. Hmmm. Then, after I took the screw driver away, the pump
continued to try to run sporadically, and the breaker got very hot
and smoked a bit. (Guess it's toast, now. :) )

My friend said he'd had problems with the pump from Tanner right from
the start. The motor had died shortly after being first installed,
he'd had it rebuilt (at a cost of like $200 ! ), and now it seems to
be gone again. (Might it be seized?)   There's very little total time
on the pump.

Has anyone else had problems with the Tanner air pump, or can relate
other experiences?

Any other ideas?

Thanks much,
Rob