Crash Test...(the hard way)!

To: "bricklin@autox.team.net" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crash Test...(the hard way)!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@cybersurfers.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:47:30 -0800
In May it will be 2 years since I crash tested a '74 Bricklin.  Impact
was on the passenger side at a speed of 45 to 50 mph at time of
collision.  I could not have avoided the crash except to not have been
there.  Broadsided by a full size pickup just aft of center, he had not
been watching the road on a foggy  morning.

The truck penetrated to about dead center, bent the frame, took out the
door and the reinforcing, bent the roll cage, mangled the seat assembly,
stopped at the center console.  Car was spun and ended up in a field
next to the road.  Area was littered with what looked like confetti,
lots and lots of debris.  My door still worked, I got out and started to
pick up the larger pieces to toss in the car.  Cops could not believe
that I was still be able to walk around, it was a very impressive hit.

I'm alive today because I was not in one of my DeLoreans with it's X
frame or in my little S-10 pickup, I simply could not have taken that
kind of hit with a conventional vehicle.

If I'm ever nailed again, I hope to be in a Bricklin.  Of course I
didn't get out of it without injury,  It just can't be done with that
kind of  a hit.  My back will never be the same but it's nothing that
keeps me from doing what I've always done and I did not seek medical
assistance of any kind.

The bright side?  The insurance company let my buy back the wreck for
$200, what a treasure trove in parts, I currently have two  74's which
have benefited from the donor car.

I do a lot of  Bricklin miles and look forward to the doing, I really
enjoy the way they handle the road, so positively, so effortlessly which
caused me to sell  my two DeLoreans and I've never been sorry.
 Sometimes the weather is bad and I let them rest but still get in 400
to 500 miles a month.

Les