RE: 74 Bricklin Choke Wire

To: "Bricklin (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 74 Bricklin Choke Wire
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:08:27 -0400
The wire from the choke typically goes to switched power such as the ignition
coil plus wire.  As for the symptoms a disconnected wire might cause, it
depends.  If we assume the choke is properly adjusted and the only problem is
the wire is disconnected, the choke would stay on longer than it should and
possibly never open fully except at full throttle when it is mechanically
forced open.  This would cause an overly rich condition whose symptoms would be
black smoke in the exhaust, rough running, stalling and difficulty starting a
warm engine.  Surging, as Kim mentioned, is more likely a vacuum leak.  Since a
vacuum leak would cause the engine to run leaner than it otherwise would,
someone may have disconnected the choke wire to compensate.  Yes, it's a
misguided approach but I've seen it done on several occasions.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
MBNA America
800.441.7048 x74788