Re: 360 engine timing

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 360 engine timing
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:27:30 -0400
> if I remember right someone said... thinks it terry tanner not sure...
doing
> timing by vacuum from distributor.. think it had to read 22 pounds
...engine
> 360 any info on this...

Since timing chains stretch and damper rings move around most motors with
several thousand miles can't be timed accurately with the marl and light
system,. They can be timed close to factory spec that way but for
performance, what has been done in the past is to hook up a vacuum gauge and
advance the distributor to the point where the engine make maximum vacuum at
about 3000 rpm. This is the optimal timing setting. once  the engine is hot,
shut if off and let it sit few minutes ( to heat soak) then try to start, if
it bucks back retard the timing some and try again. next is the test drive,
go out and flog on the car, if it pings, retard the timing some if nit your
good to go.  This is the way we used to set timing at the dragstrip back in
the day.