Re: Speedometer Repair II

To: jhuckins@cybersurfers.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedometer Repair II
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:32:33 EST
Thanks for checking I will probably be sending them one soon.  Sounds like
they can also restore the dial face and repaint the bezel, etc.  As far as
parts, did you ask them about just purchasing a spring and glass?  However IMHO
it
seems more logical to just send yours off to have it rebuilt and calibrated by
experienced professionals with the proper tools.  The speedometers are no
longer manufactured and would probably be expensive to duplicate.  Therefore it
doesn't make sense to hack them up and end up with less than you started with.
I.E., if you have one broken speedo and use parts out of another, then what
becomes of the one you took the spring and glass out of?  You end up with one
speedo missing parts--more vulnerable to further damage due to the missing
glass--and the other speedo with an uncalibrated amateur repair job, possibly
marred or damaged from opening with a screwdriver.  Makes more sense to put PA
or
NH on the spot to do it right.

George