Re: hot air into pass. compartment

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hot air into pass. compartment
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:10:17 -0500
> Does anyone know if the vents at the base of the
> windshield under the hood,  takes air into the vent system
> or what. I can't seem to figure out why I'm  getting so
> much hot air inside the passenger compartment of the car.
> I've  checked for openings in the firewall everything
> seems tight. Although  there's no insulation in the floor.
> I feel hot air coming into the car from  under the
> dashboard and it's not from the heating ducts. Anyone!

Bob

The 2 vents at the base of the windshield under the hood
open
into the plenumn, where the windshield wiper motor is
mounted.
There is a large retangular hole in the plenumn on the pass.
side where the heat box bolts.  That's the only hole that is
supposed to be there.

Can you tell which side of the car the heat is coming in on.

On the drivers side, the are several firewall penetrations:

1. the steering col.
2. the brake activating rod
3. the electrical connector for the front electrical harness
4. the speedo cable
5. the hoses for the AC evaporator

Check around all of them.  Try putting a light in the eng.
bay at night and then looking to see if you see any light
under the dash.  These ligth sources will be your source
of heat into the cockpit.

Also, putting a heat pad under the carpet really helps.