Re: plenum weather stripping

To: "Roderick Keeler" <rkeeler@sierratel.com>
Subject: Re: plenum weather stripping
From: "High Tech Coatings" <Htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:21:39 -0400
Subject: plenum weather stripping

from what I have read and have determined, first the plenum strip helps
cooling at speed.
if removed air may flow a bit better at stand still but much worse at speed
as there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. removing
the strip will cause air to enter from the rear at speed and thus cause more
cooling problems.
 the whole issue of engine heat reaching the cabin air intakes behind the
strip is and entire other issue.
 my opinion is that it should stay. most overheating problems can be traced
to a malfunction of one or more systems. first thing to check is the timing,
retarded timing will cause overheating. next is the heat riser for proper
operation, its default position is closed. this forces hot exhaust gasses
through the intake to pre-heat the engine for emissions and COLD weather
drivability. since most of us don't drive in below freezing weather you may
want to 'default' it open. I removed mine, took out the flapper and put it
back in so it looks stock but is always open.( yes ;-) john I will send
pictures ). the next thing  that has to be checked is the fan clutch. odds
are that's slipping too much and thus not pulling enough air through the
rad. Don't just go to pep boys and buy a $20 clutch and expect any better.
buy a good quality heavy duty model designed for towing, they have a bit
more grip and thus move more air. OF course you can remove the clutch fan
and put in a spacer and fixed pitch fan, these move tons of air but are
noisy. the next thing to check is of course the rad, hoses etc. replace any
soft hoses and have the rad boiled, inspected, repaired or replaced as
necessary. if the water pump isn't leaking it's OK. Next replace the coolant
with a 50% antifreeze and a new 15# cap and your off to the races