Re: Steering box and glueing

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering box and glueing
From: "High Tech Coatings" <Htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:31:33 -0400
>Is there a non power steering box that will bolt right in a Bricklin?

The best bet is from a mid 70's Camaro or firebird. to find a non power one
you will probably have to find a 6cyl car. the pitman arm is typically
longer on standard steering boxes so there may be a geometry issue

>When you glue the fiberglass panels on the birdcage and the door frames
>should the metal be left blasted and unpainted at the areas where the
>glue meets the steel?

any metal left bare will rust and the bond will break. it is best to clean
and etch prime the areas first. I eve go as far as painting the area with a
urethane paint to seal it good

> What is the best way to hold the door skin on the door frame while the
glue sets up?

I made up some small c clamps out of 10 gauge steel (about 1/8") and put a
1/4" bolt through it. the 10 gauge is tappable for the light use you will
need here. the bolt only have to finger tight to hold everything in place.
Rick