Re: door panels

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: door panels
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:13:40 -0500
At 05:08 PM 3/5/03 EST, KKDB2@aol.com wrote:

>Hi all.  Well I just about destroyed my driverside door skin removing it
from
>the frame.  I don't feel all that bad because the skin was in pretty bad
>shape to begin with and it has been worked on before. Question:  Are there
>supposed to be rivets on the top portion of the panel where it bends over
>near the top of the window?

Kevin,

No!  There are no rivets on the door skins at all.  Only rivets are on the
rear quarter panel, roof, A pillars, and valances.

>Also the interior of the door is covered in rust.  Obviously I will have to
>clean it up and get it ready to be painted.  What type of paint or sealant
>should I use to paint the interior of the door.  I did buy a can of POR15.
>Should I just use that and  leave it or should I use something else?

Once you have gutted the door, it's time to sandblast it - both sides.
Before you do, make a some notes on what is painted brown (ginger).  DON'T
paint that area with POR 15.  Other than that, the entire door should be
painted with POR15.  Then the areas that were brown, need to be primed and
painted brown again.

Also check to see of the boomerang brace had been installed on the back
edge of the door where it transitions from vertical to horizontal.  This
is a very weak part of the doors and is prown to breaking without the
reinforcement.

Since you have a 75, you need to check to see if there is a spacer between
the lower end of the semivertical front window track and the bracket on
the bottom of the door.  If not, you'll need to make one.  It's just a
rectangular piece of steel with 2  1/4" holes drilled about 1" apart.  This
is to align the front track so it is parallel to the back channel that the
window rides in.

When you put the door back together, you should also make a "shower curtain".
This is a heavy piece of plastic that is taped to the inside of the door
just below the opening for the window - where the sheet metal rolls over to
horizontal.  Then it should cover the entire inside of the door.  It's job
is to keep water from coming in at the window and then being allowed to
drip to the back of the inside door panel and into the car.

Hope this helps.

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V