Re: manual conversion

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: manual conversion
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:56:05 -0500
> I know Terry has used the Richmond 6 speed.  The downside here is that
they are >expensive (about $3000).

The Richmond is also a beast is size and has less torque capacity than the
T56. the T56 has 2 over drives both 5th and 6th, 6th is .62

> Rick, the T-56 uses a different style clutch from even the earlier Chevys.
> I don't claim to be an expert but I subscribe to Chevy High Performance
> magazine and they have documented many T-56 swaps.  What was the donor
> vehicle?  If it was a GM F-body or Corvette, I believe you'll need the
whole
> works:  master and slave cylinder, hoses, pressure plate, linkage (if
any),
> etc.  If the B uses a speedometer cable, you'll have to convert from the
> T-56's electronic output (Jags that Run have a box and I believe other
> companies do too).  I assume the shifter hole won't line up, the
driveshaft
> will have to be re-sized, and a rear mount will have to be fabricated.  If
> you do take on this project, please document it for BrickLine.  I for one
> will be very interested  :-)  Good luck and let me know if you need any of
> those articles.  I could scan them for you.

 I 'taking picture and making notes as I go This will make a good article
but will take some time. As for the trans I bought a NEW T56 with a cable
drive speedo and a small block ford bell designed as a retro fit for 79-8?
Mustangs with a cable clutch. I know I will have to either fab and or move
the trans crossmember and move the shifter location etc. I'm not afraid of
doing cut and paste, this car was a junker. I did manage to fit the pedal
set last night (without the clutch quadrant). I used a late model mustang
booster and master as well, it sits lower in the car and hooks up to the
pedal set perfectly and should be easier to replace in the future. I had to
drill two holes in the fire wall for the booster bolts and increase the
diameter of the center hole, This weekend if I get a chance I'm going to
move the ac box over an inch to improve the alignment with the heater box
then I will look and see what has to be done to the hoses to get sufficient
clearance. I may need a couple of elbows or new hoses.
 I was hoping somebody else already solved my problems but I guess I will
just have to figure it out and write an article (or series) for the
brickline.