RE: My Bricklin is surging!

To: "'MK F'" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: My Bricklin is surging!
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:09:54 -0400
One possibility is a vacuum leak.  Focus on the vacuum circuit that feeds
the distributor.  It is only active when the car is not idling.  So the car
would run fine at idle.  The problem would be masked under acceleration
because the leak, relatively speaking, is small.  But, at a steady throttle
position, the car would effectively have an intake leak and surge.

The vacuum advance circuit is not simple on a Bricklin.  I don't know about
the '75s but the '74s had a valve mounted on the intake near the firewall
that kept the distributor advance from working until the car reached 35MPH.
Additionally, there is another valve mounted at the front of the intake
which bypasses (or activates, I cant remember) advance until the car warms
up.  Either of these valves or the rubber tubing between them or the carb
could be leaking.  If you have never replaced the vacuum lines, I suggest
replacing them all.  It's cheap to do.

Finally, the diaphragm mounted to the side of the distributor could also be
leaking.  You can get a hand held vacuum pump with a gauge at an auto store
(Sears sells them) to check it.  The pump will also help analyze the valves.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
MBNA America
302.457.4788