Re: headers

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: headers
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:41:53 -0500
The headers I was thinking about were for a 75, sorry 74 guys but I don't
there the numbers are there to support the expense. There is between 40 and
80 hrs of r&d that must go into the prototype to hand fabricate, while
keeping in mind that they must be able to be 'mass produced'. As for price
it will depend on the #'s and material, I would prefer stainless but that
adds big $ to the equation but also big value and longevity which may add up
when added to overall cost of manufacture. All 'custom made' stuff comes at
a price, so don't expect these to be cheep! You cant go down to Pep Boys and
buy these for $99, and I am not going to make 50,000 of them either. If I
make 50 I will taking a big chance judging by the responses, and as the
Bricklin is "an exotic for the masses"  Most owners won't be willing to fork
out exotic prices for parts. ( this is the PC way of saying most brick
owners are frugal)

> Oh, sure, NOW you want to <grin>.

Now that I know there is nothing else that fits I figured it was time to
step up to the plate.

 Just a word when you measure for the
> prototype to leave a little extra clearance for AOD installs.   According
> TT, this is necessary.

 Just tell me where and how much and I will see if I can leave room, Ill
also check for a T-5 and clutch cable.

 Also, do you think 1.75" or 1.625" is the best way
> to go.  I imagine it's tough to clear the header bolts and the square
ports
> don't help.

1.625 is plenty big for normally aspirated mildly modified small block under
400 c.i. turning less than about 7000. because of the design the primaries
would be 4 x 1.625 for about 12" into a 2 X  2" for about 12" then a 2.5"
final collector. I will also get a pipe mandrel bent to connect toy the rest
of the system. This should allow for high end flow while not robbing low end
grunt.

 > I don't really notice much low end loss with the
> shorties, if any.  I would be nice to have a crossover pipe, but I don't
> think there's any where to put it.

Shorties are not bad for low rpm but where they lack is the high end, most
guys won't take their 25 yr old engine there. The crossover would help but
there is so little room under the car placement and ground clearance become
the problem.

Don't expect this to happen real soon as I am swamped (14X 7) at work until
about June (I hope), so prototyping time between now and then will be
minimal. I do have the car at my shop and can sometime steal a half an hour
I can get some done. But with two bricks and a sedan delivery as projects
and work I am in dire need of time, I tried giving up sleeping but that
didn't work.
 Rick, still at work and it's tomorrow already

///
///