Re: Door Latch Solenoids

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door Latch Solenoids
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:38:17 -0500
In my experience the plastic ones don't have enough power to pop the door on
the first hit. After I bought them, modified everything, made the
brackets..... they wouldn't pop the lock on the first try, you had to hit
the switch two or three times real quick to make them work so I tossed them.
The late model GM (mid 80's on up) lock solenoids word every time but still
need some fabrication to make them fit (luckily I have a spare skinless door
to mock up stuff on). Bob H has these in a new reproduction part or you can
make a trip to your local auto recycler and pull a pair. If you pull your
own you get some extra hardware like bolts and rods.

> The unit from JC Whitney has a metal arm and is 3 and
> a half inches extended, a completely different method
> of mounting and a hole too small for the metal connector
> (but too close to the edge to drill).
>
> The range of motion on the plastic unit is one inch.
> The range of motion on the new metal unit is one half inch.

///
///