Re: questions, kinda urgent

To: Jess Nicholas <jessn@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: questions, kinda urgent
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:24:48 -0400
At 01:35 AM 5/12/00 -0500, Jess Nicholas wrote:

>* I'm missing a vacuum hose that goes to an attachment just forward of
>the firewall on the passenger's side. There is a vacuum diaphragm there
>with several hoses connected to it, but one small one is missing. What
>is this and where does it go?

Jess,

  If the "attachment" has 2 approx. 1" od hoses, they are the hot water
supply to your heater core.  The small hose is the vac. hose that is
triggered by the switch mounted on the heater box.  If you look under the
dash you should see the valve with 2 little vac. hoses going to it.

>* My A/C blows cold, but only below 50 mph and with not very much
>thrust.

This is a common problem with the Bricks.  The A/C and heater boxes are
NOT aligned properly.  The A/C box needs to be moved down and to the right
some.  This WILL increase the flow.  Terry Tanner sells a set of 3 brackets
for about $50 to move the A/C box.  This is NOT a real easy job.  The dash
has to come out, and it takes 2 people to move the A/C box.  I've done it.

>Also, moving the selector to "A/C" does not shut off the floor
>vents or defroster vents, although moving the slide to "Heat" or
>"Defrost" does shut down the dash vents. Finally, the middle two vents
>just above the radio are dead as a doornail. I'm only getting air from
>the outboard vents. Is all this vacuum related?

Keep in mind, that my car is a part - although I just got the heater and
A/C box installed, and I've only driven 1 Brick. for a short distance.
So I'm not speaking from experience or fact here only what I can see on
my heater & A/C boxes.

No! it is NOT a vac. problem.  The ONLY vac. controlled item in the heating
& A/C system is the hot water control valve.  It sounds like one or more of
your control cables has slipped and are not controling the various flaps
in the heater & A/C box correctly.  There is NO flap/valve/door on the center
vents.  These are connected directly to the A/C box and connected via a short
molded plastic tube.  Don't know why you aren't getting any air out of them.

>Is the reason the A/C loses potency at mid-high speeds due to vacuum
>problems or airflow intake problems?

I doubt it.  Don't know why you'd have problems at 50 mph and above.  You
should have poor flow and consiquently poor cooling at all speeds.  You may
have air leaks around your doors, holes in you firewall, and a torn Emergency
Brake Boot, letting more hot air in the car, thus it feels like the A/C
is falling off.

>NOTE: I am aware of the airbox design problems and the weak blower fan,

I don't really thing the blower fan is that weak.  It is used in AMC and
I think in several Fords.  Most of the flow problem is the box alignment.

>Addendum: The little rotary dial marked "A/C temp" does absolutely nothing.

I believe this is to control the on-time of the the A/C compressor based on
the temp of the cooling coils.  It has a capalary tube that goes into the
cooling fins.  It is possible that the tube has leaked is contents, or
that the switch IS bad.  I don't know how the switch actually works.

Hope this helps some.  Bottom line, you really need to pull the dash, all
3 pieces and then look at the AC and heater boxes.  Work the controls and
see what happens.  See if one of the doors doesn't open or close.  This is
a hot job, as you don't get much air flow in the car, and I don't envy you
trying to do it in the AL. summer heat, especially if you have to work
outside in the sun!

Hope this helps.