Re: gas struts or supports attn David and Michael

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gas struts or supports attn David and Michael
From: "alfaki" <alfaki@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:35:29 -0400
I'm wondering if what you're proposing is worth the risk and the PITA
refitting or if David was talking about the air operated cylinder or the .
The risk is that it does not supply enough pressure would mean the door is
really being stressed.  I can tell you that the OEM support struts in good
shape are impossible to close by hand and even standing on them has little
effect ( I know 205 lbs has no effect anyway).  The doors are heavy!  Now if
he's talking about the air cylinder which as you know can leak, this is easy
to check by checking the exhaust ports on the cylinders.  Also, it is my
understanding it is quite normal for each door to differ in the way it
opens.  You could always install a separate regulator on the quicker door
and boost the overall pressure if the difference bothers you.  What I
understand is not a good practice is to adjust the doors till they bounce,
especially more than once.
hope this helps,
stephan 2821