Re: A question -- if two Bricklins...

To: sbepko@bcpl.net
Subject: Re: A question -- if two Bricklins...
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:44:30 EST
No, I was accounting for the Yugo being more deformable, definitely not two
Bricklins (that is too painful of a thought).  Then if we assume that the
Yugo absorbs 70% and the Brick 30%, part of that 30% absorbtion will be taken
up by the 30 mph bumper on the Brick.  Taking qualitative differences into
account, if the Yugo disintegrates on impact, the total momentum will also
decrease by a vector component of the momentum of the mass which is ejected
by the Yugo without being stopped by the Brick.
In the case of the EV Warrior, I'm thinking the rider would continue at a
constant 60 mph over the top of the Bricklin, and therefore not contribute
any momentum to the force of the impact.  Hopefully he would not damage the
windshield on his way as those are very rare.
A good target might be a Subaru 360, with its sloping hood and small, easily
crushed 2-cylinder engine.  The Bricklin would simply travel over and flatten
the Subaru with minimal absorbtion of energy by the Brick.  Of course if the
Bricklin was a 75 model it would need a new oil pan.

George