Re: Fw: Cooling system

To: wingracer@email.msn.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Cooling system
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:40:38 PDT
In my experience, without a thermostat the engine runs too cold -- there is
not an issue with water running through the radiator so fast that it doesn't
cool it (this is just an opinion).  The thermostat opens further and further
the hotter and hotter it gets.  I think that 220 degrees is getting on the
hairy edge, especially considering that without the thermostat in there,
there is no way for it to cool any more.

Bricklins, from all that I have read, have always had a problem with cooling
-- there are many articles written on the subject in the past issues of
Brickline.  The fixes usually go something like this:
First, check for any obstructions in the airflow through the radiator.
Second, check the air dam underneath the radiator to make sure it is pushing
the air up through the radiator. Next, check the fan clutch (does it always
overheat even when on the highway? if it does not overheat when at highway
speed, the clutch is bad). Is the water pump working?  To check, you can
take off the cap when everything is cool and look in the radiator itself --
this is especially easy if some of the water is gone -- but this can be
deceiving cause what looks like a lot of flow may well be too little.  I
would try flushing it out, but if you have not changed the radiator in a few
years, now is the time. The cost, when I did mine a year ago, was about
$210.  What I did, even though not necessary cause it was not overheating,
was replace the radiator, the hoses, the water pump and the thermostat all
at once (I didn't want to fiddle with it). All of these parts wear out over
time and need to be replaced.

Of course, if overheating turn the ac off and the heater on to try to cool
the car down.  Tanner has a saying that 240 is hot and 250 is park and walk.
Kim