Re: Gas sending units

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas sending units
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:37:52 -0500
At 11:40 PM 3/27/99 -0500, Carl Langston wrote:

>I purchased #1873 in December and had to put a new sending unit in.  The
>only place I could get one was American Parts listed on the suppliers page
>of B.I.  It cost about $75.00 (N.O.S.) but was worth every cent.

Carl,

$70 man!!!  That seems pretty high.  That was the source I had eluded
to in my post.  What car did you specify the sending unit for?  The
reason I ask, is that I have stripped several AMC and kept the tanks
and or sending units.  I gave my friend (Al) one of sending units from
one of the AMC.  The problem with that is that there are locating tabs
on the sending units and the newer one I gave Al has them at a different
position.  So there are 2 options, try to get one with the locating tabs
in the right position, or cut new tab slots in the tank.

I ordered a sending unit about 5 yrs ago from someplace in TX.  However,
it is still boxed up and someplace.  I'll find it when I start actually
getting the car back together.

>I had about an inch of rust in my tank.  There is a filter on the bottom of
>the fuel pickup tube.  I am amazed that any fuel got through - th ecar would
>cut out if I maintained 60 mph+ for any time.  I had to boil out the tank
>($20.00) and then put two quarts of tank sealant ($60.00)from Bill Hirsch
>Automotive.

Yes a very good idea.  I did that to my tank 5 years ago.  Again the
tank is somplace around here.  However, don't put some gas in the tank
and leave it for years.  Again Al had his tank cleaned and lined about 5
yrs ago.  Then we put it in the car and got the eng. running.  However,
he really hasn't worked on the car much since then.  The gas went bad,
ate up the sealer and really gunked things up.  I've had his tank in and
out (up and down) so many times, I should put a string on it and call it
a yo yo.

>Beware - the new sending units have the emissions vent made on
>to the sending unit.  My vent nipple broke off the gas tank and I connected
>to the sending vent nipple.  The charcoal canister filled with gas and I had
>the makings of a very good (or bad) bomb.
>
>Cap the sending unit's vent nipple if you can use the tank's original vent.
>Also, replace all fuel lines and the fuel filter on the carb.

Thanks for the tip!!!  I had that happen to my Spitfire once.  Real
scarry.

>Removing the  rubber tank filler hose clamp is a Bi#$%!!!!  The tank can be
>removed without  disconnecting any of the exhaust pipes - I did have to
>loosen the hangers for the muffler.
>
>Oh, the guy at American sent me the locking ring, sending unit, o-ring, and
>pickup filter.  Great guy!
>
>Let me know if your friend needs any other info.  Thanks for your posts!

Thans for the info Carl

While I'm on the subject of sending units, Alan Coleman sent me the following
info on the resistance of the sending unit:

>Other things:   John Blair- I have reinstalled my sending unit in my
>tank, however it's not on the car. I went out to the garage with my
>Ohmmeter and checked it out . Tank right side up 76.5 ohms. upside down
>13.6 ohms.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi