Re: Transmissions

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmissions
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:26:09 -0500
Jamie,

My mistake.  I meant to say 93 or newer F Bodies ( GM -  Camero etc. ).
The 94 and newer have a wider ratio ( 0.5 to 1 overdrive ).  Are you
planning to use an AMC engine or the Ford 351 ( or other) ?  A T56 will
handle more torque than a Tremec.

There are several options for a trans swap.  One approach for manuals is to
get the bell housing, master/slave cylinder etc from the donor and have an
adapter plate made to go between the bellhousing and the block.  This is
preferred with the T56 as you should use just about everything from the
donor.  You might be able to retain the flywheel which simplifies the
starter motor aspect.  Sometimes you can redrill the block or bell housing
to accommodate the donor without an adapter.  Another approach is to do as
you are suggesting and go with an AMC bellhousing and make an adapter
between the bellhousing and the transmission.  Have you tried a Jeep with
an AMC 360 as the donor?   However it is done, the alignment between the
input shaft and transmission must be precise.   If you don't know what you
are doing and don't have access to the right tool and gauges and a good
machine shop, let someone else do the work.

The main problem with the T56 is the electronic VSS speedometer signal.
You need to either use a digital Speedo or get an electronic to mechanical
conversion kit ( they do exist).   Which ever transmission you use, you
will have to make up a new transmission mount.  I suppose the best advice
is to find out if anyone has done this successfully.  A good source for
this info would be the AMX list ( AMXfiles ).  There is likely someone
there who has tried a Tremec or T56 swap into an  AMC.

Another issue to consider is a new transmission usually means modifying the
propshaft and accommodating different yokes ( and splines).  The usual
approach here is to combine the donor and recipient propshafts.   AMC even
suggested in their performance upgrade book to beef up the propshaft
because the existing one was only marginal for higher than stock torque
applications.  They also suggest adding a second keyway to the halfshafts.
They suggest using the propshaft from the Rebel Machine, but a good solid
truck propshaft makes more sense, especially if you go to a beefier rear
end such as a Ford 9 inch or a Dana ( Spicer ) 60.

If you are going to the trouble of swapping transmission and reworking the
propshaft, you might consider a Lincoln Versailles Ford 9" that has been
discussed here previously as you can get disk brakes that way.   The
Bricklin is a heavy car and has really needed better brakes from the start.
 The alternative is to install metallic brake shoes in the rear drums, but
the drums aren't very wide nor do they have good heat dissipation.  I don't
know if anyone has installed wider, finned
brake drums, but it is possible to do.

Question: if you did do the Lincoln swap to disk brakes all around, would
you need to remove the proportioning valve?  Would the existing power boost
be sufficient to operate 4 wheel disk or would you need to swap in
something like the Bendix system that is powered by the power steering
pump?

I am thinking of going with the AMC 401 ( an very solid motor and the
smallest V8 package I have found that gives over 400 cid - important given
the restricted engine compartment in the Bricklin ).  The motor will put
out about 400 BHP and 440 FPT  with about 9.25:1 CR.  I'd like to use a T56
with a beefed up propshaft and a Ford 9" rear end with 4 wheel disk brakes.
 Having lived in Europe for 10 years, I got used to driving with 6 speeds.
You really feel you are driving!

George Schiro