Rear End

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear End
From: Parkman Kenneth <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 10:35:27 -0500
John
I checked into my U joint book and came away confused. The number of
different U joint series is larger than I remembered, but it appears
that many of the different series can be interchanged. The book didn't
list Bricklin, but the AMC U joint is a Spicer 1280 series, which
appears to interchangable with 1310 series (the two series appear to
use a different bearing). Both of these series have 1 1/16" diameter
caps. Ford cars use small and large U joints for small and large
(approx 390 and up) engines, with the one at the rear end being a
hybrid. The small U joint uses one set of 1 1/16 caps, and one set of 1
1/8 caps, with the distance accross the U joint the same as a Spicer
1280/1310, so that yoke could be made to work with a Ford U joint.
However, if I remember correctly that yoke is slightly longer and you
might have a driveshaft length concern. A better bet would be a Ford
1/2 ton, which uses the 1280/1310 joints. this also agrees with my
recollection of that yoke allowing a total bolt in to the AMC. Ford 1/2
tons from the 60's, 70's and even 80's used 9"s, so as long as you
stayed away from a big block powered truck, the yoke should work. The
Spicer U joint part number is 5-153X. Remember that when changing a
yoke on a 9" that there is a crush collar in there and you have to
achieve the correct bearing preload. Over tightening the yoke (with an
impact gun) could result in eventual pinion bearing failure - this is
passed experience talking. Are U joints confusing or what?

Ken