Fw: Fw: Sports Car Market

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Fw: Sports Car Market
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:57:48 -0500

>That and several of the British Co.s lost their shirts when they geared
>up and depended on the American Market and we had a long shorman's strike
>or something.  All their assets were tied up on a ship sitting in some
>harbor.  One compainy inparticular was TVR.
======
Yeah, I just popped off a couple of biggies, but there's lots more to the
story of course.
======

>Another problem was how raw the sports cars were.  The 'merican
>people didn't want to have to do anything to their cars cept stick
>the key in the hole and go.  Then they wanted their radios, air
>conditioning, etc.  To get those features you had to go to something
>like a Facell Vega at beaucoup $$$$.
======
You bet, and even then most of the more expensive ones were just as poorly
made, but with much higher repair rates! I bought a new '72 911S and was
proud to lose big money on it six months later, just to get it out of my
life.
======

>>The baby boomers settled down, buying homes and starting families. Most
>>couldn't afford to keep an expensive toy for two. If they could, they
bought
>>boats instead, so the whole family could participate.
>>
>>Never fear though, those same boomers are now becoming empty nesters again
>>and the manufacturers are taking note.
>>

>Yes Greg, but at what price?  The 60s era sports cars we priced well
>within the range of most of the common cars.  For instance a 67 Spitfire
>was about $2,100 while the TR4 was about $3,300 and a 67 Olds 98LS was
>about $6,400 and a Chevy Belair was about the price of a TR4.
=======
Well, all indications are that a number of manufacturers want a piece of the
expanding Miata market. Right now, they're going after the high end while
folks are still flush from a surging economy.

As for price comparisons, in '70 I was on a waiting list for the new 240Z.
It listed for ~$3700. When mine arrived, it was loaded with dealer options
and a value added sticker of almost $6000. I demanded my deposit back, drove
down the street and bought a new LT1 Vette conv. for $5300. My neighbor
bought a 914-4 for ~$3300 as I recall. Mustangs and Camaros were going for
$3000 - $5000.

Today, the average family car is over $20k, Mustangs and Camaros, $25 -
$35k, Olds, etc, up to ~$45k. The Miata, ~$22k, Merc SLK, Porsche Boxster,
$45 - $50k. Seems like the ratios are ~the same to me.

Mercedes, Ferraris cost as much as the average house then, and still do,
plus some. This market is definitely more pricey than can be accounted for
by inflation, etc. High tech and exclusivity costs.
=======

>While I do see an awful lot of late model Corvetts on the road, I don't
>know too many people that can actually afford one.  Even the Miata has
>become priced out of my reach.  In fact with the exception of something
>like a KIA or a Hundai I can't afford any of the new cars.
=======
OK, but don't you still have kids at home? Not to mention five toys that
your insurance agent is probably going to buy a new Vette on commissions
from you alone. :^)) Sounds to me like you're doing pretty good overall.
=======

>Price and performance were the 2 biggest points to the 240Z and the
>original RX7.
=======
The RX-7's were value added priced just like the Z, at least down here.
=======

>Just my 2 cents.
>
>John
=======
Just my 20 cents. (adjusted for inflation)  :^))

GM